Tuesday, March 5, 2013

3/4


I used Facebook.com, Twittwer.com and Reddit.com as my tools for today’s research. When using these tools I did find them to be helpful. When you hear social networking we usually think of ways of meeting people but today I was able to use it in a different way. I feel using the social networking sites were helpful because unlike other places that I get my information from I can see what other people find interesting about my topic and also what they find important. I personally use social networking to stay in touch with friends and family. Being an army brat requires you to meet a lot of people but the moving around also makes is hard for you to keep in touch. With social networking I am able to see and talk to people whom I have met all over the world. 

2 comments:

  1. Jiya, great points. We do often think of these networking sites as corresponding to a particular goal or purpose (ex. meeting people, staying in touch) but one of the main points I was trying to make is that they don't inherently correspond to any one behavior and can be used in many different ways.

    At their core they're just platforms, and it's up to us (individually and as a society) to decide the ways we want to use them.

    For example, some of us might use Facebook to stay in touch with family, friends and acquaintances (as you mention), but then might use Twitter very differently to connect with others they don't yet know based on shared interests and use it as a way to keep up with new articles, websites and other materials that are shared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Presentation Feedback:
    Your topic surprised me. I expected most people to be school related or boring; yours is in a unique category. I am very interested in your final presentation. I would love to see visual evidence of plastic surgery gone wrong. I usually see this topic on Maury, Dr. Oz and Katie. The price that some men and woman are willing to pay to enhance their looks is unbelievable, especially when the cost could be their life. To find specific, creditable information I would recommend looking on Google scholar and creditable results from Google as well.

    ReplyDelete